Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Calamus Estate Winery 2006 Unoaked Chardonnay - $14.00

So I brought this wine to my mother who is always looking for a decent white to drink although she is a red fan at heart. I said, “Mom, you have to try this.”
“What is it?” She asked me.
“Just try it,” I said, and she did.
“Oh this is lovely,” she exclaimed after her first sip, she took another and another. “What are those flavours? Are you getting apple?”
“Maybe a little,” I said, “but this one has good tropical fruit too, like pineapple, kiwi and mango – lots of mango actually … oh, and there’s a touch of vanilla in there too.”
“I’m getting the vanilla,” she said, “and something else …”
“I find there’s some smooth buttery like softness,” I said pouring her another glass. “And the mangoes really come through on the palate. There’s also a touch of sweetness, it’s, I believe, a one on the sugar code … but it’s bright smooth, has good acid balance, not too tart and finishes well.”
“What is it we’re drinking?” She asked as I poured her a third glass.
“It’s the new Unoaked Chardonnay from Calamus.”
“I usually don’t like Chardonnay, but this really is quite good, and Calamus is making some really nice wines, I’m impressed … thank you dear.”
“You’re welcome mom – sleep well.”



No comments: