Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Mike Weir Estate Winery 2005 Chardonnay - $15.95

This wine came as quite a surprise – not sure what I was expecting but I got more than I bargained for. These days I see Chardonnay on the label and immediately I get my back up and I start having “expectations” of over oaking and a flavour profile that is going to accost my tongue and other senses with an array of “too much”. But this Chardonnay truly impressed with a sweet middle and dry finish. An initial buttery nose gave way to lime, pineapple, vanilla and subtly sweet fruit aromas. The taste proved to be even nicer with sweet vanilla and apple on the forefront of the palate, following through with some apricot and dried fruit on the back palate. A wonderful wine to sip on before, during and/or after a meal, in this case maple-soy-ginger glazed salmon.

No comments: